Wednesday 28 October 2015

Let's talk about liposuction

So this post will relate to weight loss, but weight loss which isn't a particularly healthy or accessible way of weight loss.

I'd like to start off by saying that in 2012, I had liposuction. This was more for reconstruction purposes than cosmetic purposes, and so was something that I had wanted for a long, long time (which I imagine most people who have this procedure also want for a long long time!) It was not something that I took lightly, as this is a major, invasive procedure, and should not really be used for or to maintain weight loss.

That aside, I would like to share my personal experience of liposuction, as of course many people have this procedure, and I would have liked to know a bit more of what was actually going to happen on the day than I did, rather than just published reports and doctor speak.

Before I was booked in for the procedure, I saw the plastic surgeon around 3 times, so that he could asses the area I was having liposuction, and also speak to me about the risks and outcomes of the surgery. I also had to attend a clinic for my weight, height and for them to do swabs before my surgery.

On the day, I arrived at 6am (!!) makeup free and hungry, as you should for any surgery, and generally feeling very tired, but very excited and anxious. I hadn't been put under for any surgery for years, and only really remembered being sedated. This didn't really put me off, as I don't really have any fear of being put to sleep, and if anything I was more nervous about them injecting me with anything to put me to sleep!

Eventually I was called in to be put on the table and to see the anaesthetist (I'd already had a cannula inserted when I arrived and changed in to my hospital gown). He could tell that I was very, very nervous. Most likely because I kept asking what was going to happen when I was asleep, how long I'd be asleep for, and I also get quite angry when I'm nervous, so I did end up causing a bit of fuss. Oops!!

He put some sort of sedative in my hand at this point. I have no idea what this was, but it made everything seem lovely and calm, and I just remember I kept asking what to do with my glasses, as I was so worried they'd fall off in surgery and I'd lose them forever!

The next thing I know, a nurse is waking me up in the recovery room, and my mouth is so dry and I have never felt sicker. I have terrible eye sight, and so I could tell straight away I didn't have my glasses, so proceeded to tell the nurse I couldn't see. Looking back, this probably wasn't the best thing to say as she started panicking that I'd had some reaction to the anaesthetic and had temporarily lost my eyesight! Eventually I managed to correct myself and she passed me my glasses.

It was at this point that I realised that never, ever have I felt such pain. And this is really why I wanted to write this post. No one prepares you for the pain after you've had the surgery. They try to prepare you for complications, and being put to sleep, and all of the pre-surgery stuff, but no one mentions the pain you will feel after you have liposuction.

I knew it would hurt, and I have a high pain threshold, but this was like no other pain. Even now, after having my child, I think I would still rather have another child than have liposuction again!

I was only in for day surgery, and so I was rushed out (as honestly, I believe everyone wanted to go home) and I don't really remember much of this day. My dad drove me home, and I spoke about chicken nuggets the whole way. I don't remember getting in, or getting in bed, or even falling asleep.

The next day, I woke up to the same awful pain. It felt like my entire body was bruised and bleeding, which really it was! I had to go back after 2 days to have my dressings changed, and I had a strange sensation of constant bleeding. Luckily I wasn't actually bleeding, so it must have just been damaged nerves.

The pain honestly took around 2 months to stop, so if you are considering this procedure, please, please remember this. No one warned me, and perhaps I should have considered this more pre-surgery, but I just so wanted this to be done. I also wish I had have considered how this would mentally affect me. I had the procedure to correct something with my body, and although the surgery was successful, my mind couldn't accept that. Although I have had the procedure now, I don't know if mentally I will ever accept that my body has changed.

Another problem that I ended up having, and still have to this day, is a complete lack of feeling. Liposuction isn't a particularly gentle procedure, and so a lot of my nerve endings were damaged. On one side, this means that injections don't really ever hurt any more! But on the other, it is strange to have no real feeling on my skin, other than an occasional strange trickling feeling.

So all in all, am I happy I had the procedure? Of course. I wanted it for so long, I don't think anything would have stopped me. Do I wish someone had have warned me of the pain and aftermath of this procedure so I could prepare myself fully? Yes.

Have any of you had liposuction, or would you consider it?

Bx

No comments:

Post a Comment